Wow. I have made it 35 years on this planet...it's hard to believe, considering just last week I was twenty-nine. I've been thinking a lot about all of the things that I am grateful for and the things I have learned these past THIRTY-FIVE years. Well, buckle up and enjoy the read, ya'll. (Even though you didn't ask.)
1. Life is freaking beautiful- and every day you wake up on this side of the dirt is cause for celebration. (And I celebrate it A Lot!)
2. Really, there is always something to celebrate. I don't care if it's the 1st day of your birthday month - or - if you've lost a 1/2lb. Get It, ya'll & decorate for the occasion if you feel the need!
3. Not everyone is meant to be in your life forever, and that's ok.
4. This one seems so simple, but: You've. Got. To. Have. Faith. I'm not talking in a George Michael kind of way - I mean real faith. In being faithful, you are also loyal and loyalty that naturally grows from faith is a beautiful thing. Take it from a girl who has been in a long-distance relationship for exactly 539 days at this point. I have learned to have a faith that allows me to believe wholeheartedly in something greater than myself. Some days have certainly made it more difficult, but it's FAITH that shows me the light at the end of the tunnel, and it is also FAITH that gives me the belief that I will someday get there.
5. If you want to order dessert, ORDER DESSERT. 'Ain't nobody judging you at my table - (Because we like to share)
6. Every now and then it's ok to go to bed angry... a good night's sleep can cure a lot more than you think.
7. The above does not apply to my baby. I know I was told a million times to let him cry it out... or himself to sleep - but I can't go to bed without kissing him goodnight and professing my undying love for him anytime we're under the same roof.
8. Don't let anyone with bad eyelashes tell you SHIT about life. (Ok, that one was a joke, but hey, I am who I am) :)
9. Bad things do happen to good people (sometimes.)
10. When the music is good... you should DANCE. I dance in the kitchen, I dance in the car, hell- I'll dance just about anywhere. :) I swear some of my earliest and very best memories are of dancing on my Dad's feet to old Elvis records in the garage, or of my Mom vacuuming in her red plaid robe dancing to Bob Marley, like she'd lost her damn mind.
11. Sorry, I know some of you will not agree- but If You're On Time, YOU'RE NOT LATE. You probably shouldn't expect me to start being on time though, I mean if I haven't gotten the hang of it by now, it's hopeless. And I really can't tell time, so......🤷🏼♀️🤷🏼♀️
12. You only get a short time on this earth so you should spend as much time as you possibly can with the people who make you feel alive. Those charismatic ones, alive in the moment-
who can find the fun in any situation, even making a trip to the grocery store an adventure.
13. Empathy is God's greatest gift to us - and is the most significant of all virtues.
14. Always guard your heart, I do - because everything that I do flows from there.
15. I will never, but never reach the age where I'll stop expecting everyone to make a big deal about my Birthday! .... My 2 favorite cakes are St Honore and Princess cake, in case you need to know this for the future.
16. Smiling at strangers feels really good. It's kinda like holding the door for someone, it just does.
17. If you are on a date with someone who is nice to you but isn't kind to the server, don't plan a second date- but DO order an expensive bottle of wine, I'd personally look for the oldest Amarone on the wine list.
18. "This Too Shall Pass" If I had a damn dollar for every time my Mama has said this to me, I'd be rich. Like, Really. Rich.
19. Try to like your own company - that will ensure you don't settle for the company of someone who sucks. (This one's kinda weighted, I mean I am 35 and have never been married) ....Yes, Mom. It'll happen someday. I promise.
20. Gargling with salt water really can cure almost anything.
21. It's OK to cry. If I'm telling you all the truth, I'd have to admit this one has come to me more recently. I rarely ever used to cry, I was too vain I guess, but then something happened. Now, I can't hold my shit together during a Hallmark commercial, let alone a 90's country song.
22. In VICTORY you deserve Champagne, in DEFEAT you need it. Ok, I didn't actually come up with that one, but I'm taking it. 🥂
23. My Mom is a formidable opponent ...and I hope you're lucky enough to say the same. I also hope that Maverick will someday say the same about me. But really, though- don't mess with Mama.
24. It only takes t-w-o drinks to convince me to sing Karaoke. ... Send me a message if you want my full list of karaoke songs, 'Cuz you know I've got one, and I'd be happy to share.
25. I have been accused of not exactly valuing higher education - but in my opinion, being considerate of others will take you SO MUCH further in this life than any degree. I mean, I'm typing this blog post out with Grammarly, it cost a whole lot less than the time I spent at Sonoma State...and look how eloquent I am. For Real Though.
26. Being a parent makes you smart. You don't get a manual for it, and there certainly are not any classes you can take, but living with a six-year-old has taught me that I can come up with all kinds of answers to questions on the fly. Seriously...ASK ME ANYTHING!
Alright, so I have not quite made it to 35 things- Damnit! But I really wanted to post this. SO, follow along and I promise, this is just like me, a work in progress!